Business Unit Manager
Avionic Instruments LLC currently has an opening for Business Unit Manager. Responsible for business results (Profit and Loss, meeting annual plan and growth in the value for a business). The scope of this position includes: leadership of a cross functional business unit team (sales, operations, engineering, quality), new business generation, proposal preparation, bookings (orders), Profit and Loss accountability, developing and maintaining customer relationships, establishing the yearly business plan, overseeing operating activities to ensure good customer service and cost objectives are met, contract negotiation and other duties.
This position focuses heavily on value creation. The Business Unit Manager focuses on details of value creation, i.e; value based pricing, continual cost improvement, and identifying profitable new business opportunities. He/She guides a team of sales personnel, engineers and manufacturing personnel to create real intrinsic value.
This is the key job in the company for promotion to senior management positions.
- Leadership abilities
- Understanding of the details of creating real value
- Good business sense/judgment
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Action oriented
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Open and honest communication. No politicians need apply.
- Take ownership for their performance and for their team’s performance
- Results oriented
- Manage and prioritize multiple programs to maximize value creation
- 4 year college degree (technical degree preferred but not essential)
- MBA preferred.
- Experience with increasing responsibilities
- Broad business knowledge: sales, engineering, finance and operations
- Industrial experience.
- Management experience-direct reports.
- Ability to drive results from current and prior positions
TransDigm Business Unit Strategy
TransDigm organizes each of the portfolio companies into a business unit structure. The business unit is cross functional so that the team can focus their resources directly to the needs of the customer. There is no bureaucracy to get in the way. The resources reside in each team and are deployed by the Business Unit Manager to maximize their effectiveness. The business unit team is nimble, and fast to match our resources to the customers in real time. The business unit team has proven to be the engine that grows the company.
The business unit team is led by the business unit manager. This is considered the primary development position for senior leaders across the corporation. Each quarter, the manager has the opportunity to present their results to the senior corporate staff (CEO, CFO, COO, EVP, and other Portfolio Company Presidents). The direct access to senior leadership provides excellent learning opportunities and exposure for Business Unit Managers.
TransDigm has been growing at 20% to 25% annually for over 20 years. This creates growth opportunities for dynamic people who want to grow and make a difference.
Must be able to perform the following physical demands with or without accommodation:
- Position may require person to sit at a desk for up to 8 hours, constantly performing repetitive motions to use a personal computer and other office equipment, as well as walking around an office and industrial environment.
- Ability to perform physical activities related to traveling, such as driving, moving throughout airports, flying – travel approximately 25%
- Sitting – F, Standing – F, Walking – F, Lifting up to 30 lbs. – I, Bending – O, Climbing – O, Fine Motor Skills – F
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is occasionally high.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Avionic Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages the application of female, minority, disabled and veteran candidates. Due to the potential for exposure to ITAR controlled data, the incumbent in this role must be a US Person (US Citizen or US Permanent Resident). Interested candidates should submit their resume and salary requirements.